FAQ 207
Do I have to pay Council Tax?

The University automatically notifies Exeter City Council and Cornwall Council of all students eligible for Council Tax Exemption.

Council Tax exemption is only available to full-time students in attendance at the University.

You must be in attendance for a minimum of 21 hours a week for 24 weeks of the year.

If you are registered as a full-time postgraduate research student, you remain eligible for a Council Tax exemption until your first year of writing up has passed or you have submitted your first thesis for examination, whichever is earlier.

Exeter campuses 

If you live in the City of Exeter you do not need to request a council tax exemption certificate unless your landlord or the Exeter City Council has specifically requested you provide one. 

If you are a full-time student and live outside the City of Exeter you may be required to provide an exemption certificate to your local council.

You can download a council tax certificate from the self-service letters section of your Student Record.

Should you encounter any problems with this, please log an enquiry online with the Student Information Desk (via the SID tile on iExeter).

Cornwall Campus 

Information on Council Tax exemption is available on the Accommodation Office website.

To request a Council Tax exemption letter, please contact Registry Services (Cornwall) on 01326 371800 or email cc-registry@exeter.ac.uk