FAQ 386
How do I extend my current student visa?

How do I extend my current student visa?

If you are applying to extend your Tier 4 (General) visa from within the UK, it is best to do so through the International Student Support Office at the University. You will receive personalised advise and a trained immigration adviser will check your application form. We will then submit this securely to UK Visas and Immigration on your behalf. Note that not all students can apply to extend their visas in the UK, please contact the International Student Support Office for advice. 

When do I need to start preparing my application?

You should begin preparing your application at least 2 months before your current visa expires, although you can submit your application up until the date that your visa expires. When you look through the requirements, it will be clear that most students are required to show a certain amount of funds for at least 28 days before they apply for their visas, so you will likely need time to deposit this and leave it in your account.

How do I prepare?

You should do this by watching the videos and reading through the information on the International Student Support website. It is extremely important that you follow all of this guidance carefully as the immigration rules are complex.

How do I submit my application?

You can book an appointment with an International Student Adviser via the SID Desk in the Forum (Streatham and St Luke's students), or at the Info Desk in the Peter Lanyon Building (Cornwall students).

The adviser will check through your completed application form and documents with you and make any necessary corrections. The adviser will then help you to submit the form online and post your documents to UK Visas and Immigration. It is usually possible to have a preliminary appointment to discuss the requirements in more detail before you submit, but during peak periods in September and October, this is unlikely to be possible.

What if I just have some questions?

Make sure you have read through the information on our website, then log an enquiry through SID Online and one of our advisers will be able to give you personalised advice. You can also attend a drop-in session during term-time if you have a quick question.