FAQ 533
I want to leave my accommodation, what do I need to do?

In all residences, once you have signed your accommodation contract you will have entered into a legally binding contract with the University and we are unable to release you from your commitment and so, unless another University of Exeter student can be found to take over your contract you will remain liable for the fees for your room for the full period of the contract even if you decide not to reside in the accommodation.

This is explained in clause 4.3 of the accommodation agreement and further details are also available in section 9 of the Residential Regulations.

If you would like to give the Accommodation Office your contact details (telephone and email), so we can keep these details on record, if we become aware of a student who may wish to take over the contract we can contact you.

You can seek a replacement yourself however; you will need to remember that the replacement must be a registered student of the University and must not be currently living in University accommodation. You can advertise on the Studentpad messageboard. If you do find someone, you should advise the Accommodation Office of their name and student number, so we can confirm that they are a suitable replacement and make the necessary arrangements to transfer the contract over to this student and release you from your obligations.

The University has discretion to refund fees only in exceptional circumstances. 

For more information, please see our terms and conditions.

If you live in one of our nominated residences you should contact your residence directly.

The Guild Advice Unit may be able to assist you further.

Please contact the Accommodation Office on 01326 253639 or 370436 or email accommodation@fxplus.ac.uk

For independent advice, please contact FXU Advice on 01326 370447 or advice@fxu.org.

Cornwall Campus

Exeter campuses